Sunday, June 17, 2012

Am I here to learn Spanish or German?

Week #2 completed! The week at school started off slowly but sped by quickly. I have started to settle into a new routine at school with my new class schedule. I get up each day and each breakfast with most of my housemates, do devotions, shower, study, and then head to school at 11:30. I have my first class 12:10- 1:40, a 1 hour break to study and each lunch from 1:40-2:40, and then class from 2:40-4:10. Then the evenings consist of studying or hanging out with other language students and peruvians.

This week I ventured out to the girls Bible study on Thursday night. It was pretty much completely in Spanish and I have to admit I didn't get much yet. Thankfully my new friends had pity on me and explained every once in awhile what was going on. Hopefully each week will get a little bit better. :-)

The weekend consisted of waiting for 2 hours for a "fashion show" with traditional type dress and dance to start in the town plaza on Friday night. By the time it actually started, everybody was disappointed by it so my friends and I left within 15 minutes and went home to watch a movie instead. Saturday was relaxing at home and then walked around the plaza some in the afternoon. I took some pictures which are below so y'all can get a feel for downtown Arequipa. It's really beautiful and one of my favorite parts of Arequipa so far :-). 

Today, we went to church and I understood a little bit more of the service which was encouraging. There were even 1-2 songs where I understood pretty much the whole thing so that was a big deal for me! (I know that doesn't seem like much but its the little things.... :-) After church I came home with my German housemates and our other German friends came over to watch the Germany vs Denmark soccer game. It was fun but I was surrounded by 7 Germans speaking in German for 3 hours....Every once in a while I would catch a word I knew and try to figure out what they were talking about. I wasn't very successful but who knows...maybe I'll understand some German by the end of my 3 months here as well as some Spanish! 

This weekend also was a sad one for me as a very close friend's father died. It was hard to be so far away during a time like this but God is teaching me every day that His plan is best. He can take care of me and my family and friends better than I ever will be able to so I need to be content where I am for now. God is good. 

Here are a few pictures for you to enjoy. Have a great week and Happy Father's day!!

                                           Here is the front of my school - ABC Espanol :-)

                          The Basilica Cathedral in the Plaza de Armas in downtown Arequipa.

                    All the people that were waiting with us on Friday night for the "Fashion Show"

                              Birds and kids playing around the fountain in the Plaza de Armas

                                                      Basilica Cathedral during the day

                                                    Looking down the street of the main square

                                                   Bell tower of Basilica Cathedral




2 comments:

  1. I love the square! It reminds me a little of the square in Trujillo. It's neat that all the coolest buildings are usually the churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep all the Plaza's in the big cities in Peru have a similar feel i've found and i love it!! Can't wait to check out the inside of the church :-)

    ReplyDelete